Monday, October 20, 2008

Book Survey

Poll 10 people by posing the question “Read any good books lately?” How many have they read in the past 6 months? What types of books have they read? What does this tell you about your sample and society?


Hmmm....

Well, I am not exactly sure how I am supposed to put this info up here. First of all a big thanks to all those who helped out by answering an email survey, you are good people. I am going to tell you all about the books that I have read in the past 6 months, I don't even care if you don't want to know:
I don't knwo how many, maybe 20?
All of the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan again.
(If you should ever read them,-and you should- I suggest you consult this website
http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~karlh/wot.html)
All of the Harry Potter series by JK Rowlings

I love science fiction and fantasy. Fav authors of mine: (the above mentioned) JRR Tolkien, David Eddings, R.A. Salvadore, Margetet Wies, Tracy Hickman, Orson Scott Card, Lloyd Alexander, Dan Brown, And many others.
I have read all kinds of stuff, Tom Clancy to Classics such as Little Women. I LOVE to read.
that being said I guess I will answer the real question.

I will treat the whole ten people as one group I guess.
Together they have read 46 books.
Wide range of books: My friend Liberty read the following:
1. Seven Daughters and Seven Sons
2. Walk Two Moons
3. Mere Christianity
4. As a Man Thinketh
5. Sense and Sensibility
6. Counterfeit Bride
7. Pride and Prejudice
8. Finding Faith
9. Saving Grace
10. The Tale of Despereaux
11. A Corner of the Universe
12. Tristan and Iseault
13. The Dark is Rising
14. Missing May

I had to look some of them up, but she likes a bit of everything. Another friend, Joe, just finished two, but reads a lot of biographies and religious books (He got a degree in history-poor sucker)
My Sister read a bunch of books. She reads A LOT. She read some fiction and some romance, but she loves crap like Georgette Heyer, so we won't even think more of it. Overall, I saw lots of Christian novels, and some young science fiction. What does this tell me about my sample? D*** Mormons...heh heh heh. Seriously, if I had more friends who were not members of my religion, things would probably look a lot different. Bout I realized that my friends really enjoy emotional inspiring titles that get the heart pumping. What does this tell me? About my friends it tells me that they read some stuff I never suspected, sentimental suckers. And as for society, it doesn't tell me much because I don't think my sample is representative. First of all, I think that my friends read a lot more than the average college aged group,and second of all, I doubt very much that the majority of people my age across our society are reading 'Mere Christianity'.

No comments: