Saturday, September 20, 2008

Journal Entry # 2

Do negative stereotypes exist in the media today?

Too easy: YES.
Not a day goes by when I don't see something depicting women or minorities in a less than flattering light. And not just that, it seems that there is an active movement to present "reverse stereo types". Examples> Women as sexual prededors in control of their quarry, or powerful(often violent) minorities. Here's a sexist commercial playing up sexism, but really enforcing the stereotype in the meantime.




Is there really the possiblity of people immersing themeselves too much in the world of mass media? Too the point where they begin to tune out to the real world?
Also, sure.
I for example, listen to music roughly 8-10 hours a day. I can't work out without my IPOD. I also spend a huge amount of time on the internet. I have around 400 dvd's. The funny thing is, I'm not as absorbed as many of my friends. And there are certainly people who take it to the extreme. I had a roommate last semester who worked... and played World of Warcraft. He would do nothing else, he seldom slept, only ate fast or prepared food, and didn't even go to church.(much). At least he worked.
Here's an interesting (if kind of long) clip from an editorial about the World of Warcraft addictees.



So I guess the evidence speaks for itself.

1 comment:

Shane said...

beer commercials are great. as is the beer